Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Review: Pacifica Mystical Supernatural Eye Palette

I'm reviewing the Pacifica "Mystical Supernatural" eye shadow palette today. I have had this for a while. I found it at Target on clearance. The price tag says it was originally $11.99 and I bought it for $8.38. I thought it was a good price and decent discount for me to try one of Pacifica's beauty products. I've always wanted to try them after trying some of their body creams (which I recommend), but all natural beauty products are a hit or miss and nobody wants to pay a medium sized amount of money for a miss. (Feel free to skip all the way to end to read the Final Verdict and skip the details.)
The box was pretty, but once you take the palette out of the box it's a little less eye catching. Some might prefer the simple look of the palette design, but I feel if you're going to have an extravagant box and you're going to name your palette "Mystical Supernatural" then you need an equally exotic palette case to match. Anyway, the palette is just a magnetic closure and is made of cardboard. The cardboard is more durable than a shoe box, but it's a little questionable how it would hold up if you are an intense traveler. We all know the wear that items receive when you travel or take things on the go with you a lot and I'm just not sure this one would hold up so well. I will say, that for an all natural company it does not surprise me that it would be in a recycled form of packaging. Another thing to note- the clear part over the shadows is just clear plastic and it's kind of on the flimsy side; I would find this really easy to puncture.
Well, the packaging is not the most important part. It's the performance of the product that matters most and here are the swatches! The shadows do not have names and while I prefer that shadows in palettes be given names (if they don't already have them), what can you do? I tried my best to line the swatches up with the shadows.

From left to right:
  • The 1st shadow is a light pink iridescent. In the picture it looks beige or a light skin tone color, but in real life it is pink and in the light you will definitely see the iridescence. 
  • The 2nd shadow is a pale coppery gold. It is sheer and has a nice shimmer to it.
  • The 3rd shadow is a taupe color. This is a very sheer color and once applied appears as an iridescent. It takes quite a bit of layers to get the actual color you see out of it.
  • The 4th color is a purplish blue. It looks more navy in the picture than it appears in real life. This has quite a bit of shimmer to it and is the boldest of the 4 colors.
Here is a look I created using all 4 colors.
  • I used the Taupe color all over the lid.
  • I took the Navy color and put it in the outer v and crease and then blended, which I feel really helped bring out the Taupe color.
  • I used the Gold color for the brow bone & highlight, as well as the highlight underneath my eye. I feel this color went pretty well with my skin tone.
  • Finally, I used the Pink color in the inner corner of the eye to brighten and extended it a little underneath the eye.
Final Verdict: I give this palette a 6/10. This palette is great if you're looking for a sheer wash of color or a very natural look, but none of the colors are really high in pigmentation or boldness. The shadows are super soft, apply easily, and blend easily. Without a primer, these shadows do not look as good, nor do they last that well with oily skin. When I used these without a primer I would say I had about 4-5 hours of decent wear, but then it started to fade and by the end of the day the oil from my skin pretty much dissolved it away. With primer, I had much better results and you can get a good day out of it. I think this palette would actually work better in-conjunction with other shadows/palettes than by itself. The the only other reason I give this a little bit of a lower rating, is because of the packaging. Like I said earlier, I think it'd be easy to puncture and damage the case and thus in the end damaging your shadows. - If you're looking for something with natural ingredients, sheer washes of color, and a natural eye look then you'll like this palette.

This palette is available at the Pacifica website for $14.99 and available at some Targets and on the Target website for $11.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment