Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review: MAC Punk Couture Lipsticks

The Punk Couture collection by MAC was released at the end of December of last year (2013). Most of the collection were re-promotes, which is a good thing if you wanted something you ran out of; missed; or was damaged/lost. 
I'm still behind, but originally I was never going to post anything on these lipsticks. I feel that just about everyone in the beauty community who wanted these did indeed buy them and they all posted their swatches and selfies with them. So, I didn't really feel the need, but since I have had time to use them, I thought I'd give my review on them. So, this is more informative than just swatches and pictures. All but 1 of the lipsticks were new and on the day they were released I bought 3 of the 4 lipsticks at $15 a piece. The one lipstick I could not come to buy was "Punk Couture" which MAC described as a "deep blackened grape". It was really purple to me and I enjoy light purples, but not dark ones.
The 3 lipsticks I bought from the Punk Couture collection:
  • Hautecore
  • Instigator
  • Studded Kiss
The lipsticks came in black tubes that are shaped similar to bullets and have the MAC logo printed on it. 
Here are the lipsticks before they were ever used. They do look quite beautiful if I do say so to myself. In the same order as the boxes- Hautecore, Instigator, Studded Kiss. All 3 lipsticks are Retro Mattes. (In case you don't know, "Retro Matte" is a super matte formula from MAC. This is a step above a regular matte.)
Here are the lipstick swatches. I only swiped the lipstick down my hand once each and that is amazing! You can see how pigmented they are and how nice they apply. From left to right- Hautecore, Instigator, Studded Kiss. The only issue I had with these lipsticks were with Hautecore and you can see on the swatch that it has patchy spots. Hautecore just does not apply completely smooth.
Here is what Hautecore looks like on. It is described as a "true matte black" and this was the only lipstick that was not new to MAC. This was released on Black Friday of the same year (2013) as a special. Although it was said by MAC that this was an early release and that those who did not get it on Black Friday would be able to buy it later when the Punk Couture collection was released, so the plan was always to release Hautecore in this collection -it's just technically a re-promote. As for the lipstick itself- it is matte and it does look nice on. It wears decently, but the application is not smooth. It takes work and multiple layers to build up the smooth and opaque look you see here. Though a lot of people have said the same thing I have about this lipstick, overall it is loved and I assume that is because there are not a lot of matte blacks in the cosmetic world and especially in the major market. This one takes a bit to set as well and in my opinion does not appear as "retro" as the other retro mattes I own. You can see in the picture it does not look as flat as most retro mattes and is almost more like a regular matte. It wears nice though once you actually get the lipstick to your liking.
This is Instigator. This is described as a "deep blackened plum". Well, in the swatches that were released before the collection were released made it look almost black and to me that seemed too close to Hautecore and wasn't worth purchasing. This lipstick is a very nice color and even though it is quite dark, it's still light enough to be worn on quite a few occasions. This lipstick takes a bit to set. The retro matte of this lipstick will show once it has dried and set on your lips, until then it is more like a regular matte. For the most part this lipstick applies nice, but if you have lips that are more on the pigmented side you'll need a few more layers to make it opaque. It wears very nice though. I've not worn it for more than about 5 hours or so at a time, but it has lasted me nicely every time I've worn it.
Finally, here is Instigator as worn. It is described as a "dark oxblood red". This is the one lipstick most people passed on for being "ordinary" or "too similar to others". I understand to an extent, with RiRi Woo just released before and that's a similar (but not exact) retro matte red, but I like it. It is darker than RiRi Woo. Of course me being the odd duck, I choose this one over Punk Couture, which Punk Couture was more sought after. This lipstick applies the smoothest of all 3 and the most opaque. It wears very nicely and I enjoy it. This lipstick sets fast too and the retro matte effect shows through nicely.

Overall, all of these lipsticks are very nice and have that vanilla scent that MAC lipsticks do. They wear nice and I personally did not experience any drying from these formulas on my lips. As with most mattes and especially retro mattes, your lips should be prepped and smoothed before applying for best performance and appearance. You cannot buy these lipsticks anymore in stores, but there are a lot still available for sale by individuals and the prices are around $30-$45 depending on which lipstick and who is selling it. If you don't feel like overpaying you can wait for a re-release. I have a good feeling all of these lipsticks will be available again at some point.

Leave all questions and comments below, and if you have your own review of any of these lipsticks then please feel free to leave your link below!

No comments:

Post a Comment