Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review: MAC Viva Glam Rihanna

In case you didn't know, MAC Cosmetics has a line of lipsticks entitled "Viva Glam" that supports Aids. Every cent goes towards support and research for the disease. This year the spokesperson and color concept collaborator was none other than singer Rihanna, who also launched her limited edition line through MAC in 2013. 
The lipstick along with it's lipglass companion was released online January-21, 2014 and I bought mine that day for $16. It was released in stores January-23, 2014 for the same price, but I wanted to make sure I received one and so I purchased online. Unfortunately, I was not home when it arrived; I was on the other side of the country visiting family. When I did come home my fiance handed me a black shipping box from MAC and inside was a beautiful, small, black box with Rihanna's signature on it. (FYI: I did not buy the lipglass. I was on the fence about it and in the end decided not to buy it.)
"Viva Glam Rihanna", as it is entitled on the website, is described as a "blue-red with a frost finish". So, the tube being both red and having that frost-like look to it suites the whole campaign well. When you feel the tube it has that rubber and frost-like finish to it, similar to NARS makeup packaging.
A MAC Frost is described as having "great color payoff with a frost/shimmer finish". In other words it is suppose to be intensely colored and have sheen to it. My first thoughts when I saw the lipstick itself were that it did not look all that blue and it did have shimmer in it. It also delivered that signature vanilla scent that MAC lipsticks have.
Here is a swatch of the lipstick. In the picture you can see the shimmer and shine to it, which keeps it separate and unique from Rihanna's previous lipsticks released with MAC that were Retro Matte finishes. The "blue" part is up for debate. Obviously, no one thought this lipstick would come out being the actual color blue or have noticeable blue coloring in it, however the tone is just not all the blue/cool to me. I actually feel it is more of a neutral red. Many people have said the same thing or have even stated that it seems more on the warm side. I've heard lighting and one's own skin tone also play a role in how it looks on someone. All I know is that for me it seems neutral.
Here is what Viva Glam Rihanna looks like on the lips. It is quite red, but definitely has shimmer to it which gives it that sheen finish or "frosted look". I like it and I feel it wears very well. You'll get about a good 6 hours out of it without touch-ups. It is not drying, but does not really offer much moisture either. If you have dry lips you'll want to add the lipglass or some gloss to it. I really do feel that this looks neutral on me, even in this picture, and does not look cool or blue-toned.

Final Verdict: This is a 9/10 only because it does not deliver that blue, cool-toned look as advertised. Other than that it is a typical MAC lipstick and I mean that in the highest regard! It performs great, looks great, and most people will find this a useful shade with the bright/red lip trend going on now! "Viva Glam Rihanna" is available in stores and online now. Both the lipstick and lipglass have not come up with shortages, so you will easily be able to get your hands on either or both if you want them.

Leave questions, comments, and links to your own reviews below! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment