Friday, February 28, 2014

Review: Almay Shadow Softies

So, this is a long overdue review. I've had these since December and they've been well tested since then. However, if you've been reading up on this blog you know I'm very far behind and this is one of the reviews that I've been meaning to do and never really took the time to do it. - I'm reviewing the Almay Shadow Softies. When I first bought these I immediately came home and blogged about them. All I did was swatch them though, I didn't actually try them out. Since then I have tried them in various situations.
Almay states these are "whipped powder shadows" that will deliver "a sheer wash of color" and are "crease-free". I have not seen a ton of reviews on these, but from what I did see I saw a lot of complaints for bad color-payoff. I have to disagree with these people. First off, Almay states that these are sheer and thus they are not meant to be very pigmented; You can't expect a product to deliver something it wasn't designed for. These shadows do deliver a sheer color and are best for people who do not like bold looks or for days you're wanting something simple or just a pop of color.
I'm wearing the only 2 colors I purchased: "#115 Seafoam" (the light blue) and "#160 Midnight Sky" (dark blue). Almay seemed to make all 12 of these shadows correspond with another one. The darker shades are mattes and the lighter shades are metallic. The texture reminds me of the Bouncy Blushes from Maybelline. They work well with finger application or a stiffer brush. They have decent staying power with a primer. These photos feature the shadow over Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I have not worn them without a primer yet, so I have no idea how they hold up without one. With my oil skin, the max time I could go without seeing noticeable fading was about 8 hours which is not bad. That I know of Almay makes no statement as to how long these will last.

Over all, I like these. They're not for everyone and they may not be for every day use for some. Personally, I have not bought anymore, but it doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't buy more in the future. If you're looking for a very affordable product (around $5 or less depending on where you get them) to give you a pop of color, highlight, or simple shading then you'll like these!

No comments:

Post a Comment